In 2019, the New Zealand government introduced The Healthy Homes Standards. These standards which aim to improve the health and warmth of the nation’s 600,000 rental properties, by creating minimum standards for heating, insulation, ventilation, draught stopping, moisture ingress and drainage. They will play a significant role in improving the wellbeing of New Zealanders and their families.
From 1st July 2021, landlords must ensure their rental properties comply with the Healthy Homes Standards within 90 days of all new, varied, or renewed tenancy agreements.
Ensuring your rental property meets the new Healthy Homes Standards can seem daunting.
At Property Inspect BOP, we can provide Healthy Homes Compliance Checks, to help you meet the required standards, in a way that is simple, efficient, and informative.
Our expertly-trained assessors will visit the property, and complete a full external and internal audit – checking the five key compliance requirements for Healthy Homes Standards:
- Insulation (determining whether the accessible ceiling and underfloor insulation comply with the required standards)
- Ventilation (assessing whether the windows in the living room, dining room, kitchen, and bedroom provide adequate ventilation)
- Heating (looking at the heating source of the main living room and determine whether it meets the standard requirement of heating capacity)
- Draught stopping (conducting a visual inspection to determine if there are any unreasonable gaps or holes in walls, ceilings, windows, skylights, floors and doors which cause noticeable draughts)
- Moisture control (checking whether your property has efficient drainage systems)
If the property does not comply, we will advise you on the most cost-effective solution to bring it up to code, including recommending local specialists for any work required.
Once a standard has been reached for Insulation, Heating & Ventilation, you will receive a Property Inspect BOP Healthy Homes Compliance certificate.
Book a Healthy Homes Compliance Check today, for just $199 + GST.
Phone + 64 7 347 7410
Property Inspect BOP are an Accredited Building Surveyor and have undertaken a commitment to appropriate qualifications, skill and knowledge. We’re dedicated to quality building surveying practices and ensuring our customers are provided the best quality of service.Accredited by BOINZ (Building Officials Institute of NZ)