A Safe and Sanitary Report is simply an opinion from a suitably qualified person (someone with extensive building experience and report writing skills) as to a buildings current performance and status when assessed against the building regulations in existence when the building work was completed.
A Safe and Sanitary Report is typically supplied when:
- A building permit is cancelled or not signed off; or
- A building consent has lapsed, been cancelled or no Code Compliance Certificate has been issued, or
- Unauthorised building work was completed on the property pre 30 June 1991 (work completed after this date without building consent requires a certificate of acceptance).
Content of a Safe and Sanitary Report
A safe and report must include the following information;
- A request on behalf of the current owner for the report to be undertaken
- Why the report is important and what it covers (scope of works)
- Background including current status of any outstanding permits/ consents that are being addressed by the safe and sanitary report
- Findings of the site assessment
- Supporting documents from specialists such as electricians, plumbers, engineers etc. where applicable
- Supporting photographs where applicable
- Updated plans where applicable (scaled)
- Any recommendations (e.g. that some remedial work requires a building consent or that work completed after 1 July 1992 requires a certificate of acceptance)
- The report must end with a conclusion as to the building works current performance (e.g. that the building is safe, not insanitary and fit for purpose)
- A fee is payable for the report.
Important** If a Safe and Sanitary Report identifies that there are outstanding issues that are not covered by the report such as the need to apply for either a ‘Building Consent’ for remedial work or ‘Certificate of Acceptance’ for unconsented work these additional applications are separate services that are also offered by our company.
Phone + 64 7 347 7410 to book a safe & sanitary report for your peace of mind.
Property Inspect BOP are an Accredited Building Surveyor and have undertaken a commitment to appropriate qualifications, skill and knowledge. We’re dedicated to quality building surveying practices and ensuring our customers are provided the best quality of service.Accredited by BOINZ (Building Officials Institute of NZ)